The first years of life are of vital importance to a child’s growth and development. Foundations are laid which influence the ability of a child to accept herself/himself, relate to others and respond positively to the environment. Family relationships provide a young child with the best model for developing attitudes, values and appropriate behavior. Interactions with other adults and children are extremely important and promote ways for a child to relate to the world around him/her.
A Catholic Preschool & Prekindergarten program strives to provide a creative learning environment for the young child. Interaction with other children and adults, in an atmosphere of Christian love and concern, promotes the healthy development of each child. In partnership with the church, parish community and the family, a Catholic Preschool/Prekindergarten provides a Catholic Christian education through which gospel values are presented, lived and fostered.
A quality early childhood program promotes a safe and stimulating environment that promotes the spiritual, social, emotional, physical and intellectual growth of a child. Children should be provided with opportunities to investigate and explore their world creatively in a hands-on environment. Children are unique individuals who are eager to learn, and we should value their differences, needs, learning styles, experiences and interests. Extensive research has shown that children learn through active involvement and play, constructing, demonstrating and representing their knowledge in a wide variety of ways. The social components of learning stresses the importance of interactions, cooperation and collaboration. Early childhood educators recognize that learning opportunities must be age and individually appropriate. A developmentally appropriate program recognizes that
- Children construct their own knowledge.
- Learning activities must actively engage children.
- Language develops best in a social context.
- Families and communities must be more fully involved as partners with schools.
- Appropriate assessment strengthens learning and teaching.
- Positive social environments contribute to learning.
- Inclusive programs expand opportunities for all children.
- Honoring children's cultural backgrounds helps them maintain and build respect and honor the culture of others.
With these beliefs and goals in mind, we are pleased to offer Catholic Preschool & Prekindergarten programs for our families.